Cost of Living Support

You are here: Home / Contact / Cost of Living Support

The winter months will be difficult for many people who are struggling with the cost of living crisis.

Organisations that offer free and confidential advice are listed below.

If you have any friends of family members who do not have access to the internet, please share this information with them.

You can always write to me as your MP and I will help in any way I can. Sometimes I will direct you to specialised support. Please email me at and include your address and postcode.

You can also call my office on 0151 792 3416

Living costs

Wirral Infobank provides a huge amount of information and advice on topics including work, education, debt, training and mental and physical wellbeing:

Ask Us Wirral is a partnership of Citizens Advice Wirral, Age UK Wirral, Wirral Change and Wirral Mencap, supported by Wirral council and offers advice on issues including benefits, debt, housing and work:

Involve Northwest has a dedicated team of advisors who can offer support with issues such as benefits, debt and money management:

Money Helper offers guidance and support on everyday money matters and worries:

National Debtline offers free and independent debt advice over the phone and online:

Wirral council can provide financial support for individuals and families in crisis situations. This may include assistance for those leaving care, hospital, prison or similar, to help them to become established in the community:

North Birkenhead Development Trust and St Vincent de Paul Society (Wirral) can provide white goods, such as cookers, fridges and washing machines. They can also provide household items such as beds and bedding and kitchen items (kettles, microwave, pans). This service is for vulnerable households who do not qualify through the council’s Emergency Financial Support scheme. Contact North Birkenhead Development Trust at for a referral and/or contact St Vincent de Paul Society by email: or text: 0790 595 2798 to request a call back.

Housing costs

Citizens Advice Wirral offers support for people struggling with housing costs in Wirral: or call on 0808 2787848

The Discretionary Housing Payment scheme is run by Wirral council to support those who are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and are experiencing financial hardship:


Energy and utilities

People with pre-payment meters can request a fuel voucher (gas and/or electric) from Citizens Advice Wirral, Involve Northwest, Energy Projects Plus and Wirral council’s Emergency Financial Support Scheme. These vouchers are provided by national charity Fuelbank Foundation. You can find out how to contact them at the following links:

People who pay by Direct Debit can apply for help towards their fuel and water costs, which will be paid directly to their utility provider. To find out if you are eligible, contact Citizens Advice Wirral: or call on 0808 2787848

People struggling with fuel and water debt can request help to clear or reduce their debt from Citizens Advice Wirral on 0808 2787848 and Energy Projects Plus on 0151 637 3670

People in crisis situations who are unable to repair or replace broken or obsolete heating and do not qualify for help under other programmes can apply to Energy Projects Plus for help under the crisis support with heating scheme. For information call 0151 637 3670

Wirral’s Household Support Fund is helping Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service to provide Winter Warmer Packs to vulnerable people in Wirral. Although recipients will be identified by MFRS, referrals can be made if a vulnerable household is known. Please email for a copy of the referral form.

Cheaper broadband and phone packages are available for people on Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. You can check if you are eligible for a social tariff package on the Ofcom website:

Warm Hubs

There are nine ‘Warm Hubs’ in Wirral West offering a place to warm up during the winter months. You can view all of the warm hubs right across Wirral on the Wirral council website below. Alternatively, I have listed all of the warm hubs based in Wirral West below.


Warm Hub in Pensby:

St Michael's Church (Gills Lane, CH61 1AF) Tuesdays to Fridays, 9am to 12:30pm. Call 0151 648 2404 or email

Warm Hub in Irby:

St Chad’s Church (Roslin Road, CH61 3UB) Tuesdays 9am to 12:30pm. Call 0151 648 8169 or email

Warm Hubs in Meols:

St Andrew's United Reformed Church (Greenwood Road, CH47 6AD) Wednesdays 1:30pm to 3:30pm. Call 0151 632 2075

St John's Church Centre (School Lane, CH47 6AF) Mondays 11:30am to 1pm, Thursdays 11am to 12:30pm. Call 0151 632 1661 or email

St John the Baptist (Birkenhead Road, CH47 6AU) every second Monday of the month, 2pm to 3:30pm. Call 0151 632 1661 or email

Warm Hubs in Hoylake:

The Quirky Café (124e Market St, CH47 3BH) two or three times a week, 4pm to 7pm. Call 0151 632 1103 or email

St Luke's Methodist Church (19 Market St, CH47 2BF) every day 9am to 12:00pm. Call 0151 632 6524 or email

St Hildeburgh's Church (1 Stanley Rd, CH47 1HL) Fridays 10am to 2pm. Call 0151 632 5339 or email

Warm Hub in West Kirby:

St Bridget's Centre (Church Road, CH48 3JT) Wednesdays 08:30am to 3pm. Call 0151 625 2739 or email


Your child may be entitled to free school meals and free school uniform. Check the council’s website for more information:

Wirral Fuss is a Wirral-based charity which provides free second-hand school uniforms for primary and secondary school students. You can visit their website for more information, or visit their Hoylake collection point: St Luke’s Methodist Church Market Street Hoylake CH47 2BF, open Wednesdays 9:30am to 12pm:

If your child is 2 years old, you may be eligible for 15 hours of free childcare per week. Check the council’s website for more information:

If your child is 3 to 4 years old, you may be eligible for 30 hours of free childcare per week. Go to the government website for more information:

If you are more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4 years old, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk:

Food banks

Wirral Foodbank offers emergency food to people in crisis. For more information, visit their website:

There are four social supermarkets in Wirral West. You can view all of the social supermarkets on the Wirral council website below. Alternatively, I have listed all those based in Wirral West below.


Social supermarkets in Irby:

Irby Methodist Church (Mill Hill Road, CH61 4UB) offers a lunch club every Friday between 12:30pm and 2pm. A two course meal costs £3 per person. Call 0151 648 2233 or email

Social supermarkets in Woodchurch:

Hoole Road Hub (Hoole Road, CH49 8EG) is open Monday to Friday, 1pm to 3pm. Wednesday is open for men only from 2pm to 4pm. Call 0151 522 0738 or email

Social supermarkets in Hoylake:

Quirky Café (124E Market Street, CH47 3BH) is open Monday to Saturday, 9am to 2pm. Call 0151 632 1103

Wirral food bank centres are open between Christmas and New Year. Below is a list of all of the food bank distribution centres across Wirral:

  • Salvation Army Charity Shop, 19 Oxton Road, BIRKENHEAD, CH41 2QQ. Open 24th Dec – 31st Dec 10:30am to 12:30pm
  • Seacombe Children’s Centre, St Paul’s Road, WALLASEY,CH44 7AN. Open 28th Dec 1pm to 3pm and 30th Dec 10am to 12pm
  • St James’ Church, Albion Street, NEW BRIGHTON, CH45 9LF. Open 29th Dec 11am to 12:30pm
  • St Vincent’s Centre, 15-17 Grange Road West, BIRKENHEAD, CH41 4BY. Open 28th Dec – 30th Dec 1pm to 3pm
  • St Catherine’s Church, Church Road, TRANMERE, CH42 5LF. Open 30th Dec 11am to 1pm
  • St David’s Church, Crosthwaite Avenue, EASTHAM, CH62 9DG. Open 28th Dec 12pm to 1:30pm


Mental health services

The cost of living crisis can take a toll on people's mental health. If you are struggling, you may want to contact one of the organisations below:

A local mental health crisis line is available from the NHS Cheshire and Wirral Partnership Foundation Trust. The line is available 24/7 on 0800 145 6485 or you can visit

Companeros Crisis Cafe is a safe space in Wirral for adults in crisis. They are open 10.00am to 10.00pm, 7 days a week. You can visit them at 2a Price Street, Birkenhead, CH41 6JN and you can call them on 0151 488 8135

The Samaritans are available 24/7 over the phone on 116 123 or via email at

SHOUT is a 24/7 crisis text messaging service. You can send a text message anytime of the day and you will have a conversation with a real person. Text SHOUT to 85258

Kooth is for children and young people aged 11 to 18 years old. You can chat to their counsellors or read articles that are written by other young people. For more information, visit their website: